Thursday, April 28, 2011

Be Serious!

Springtime reminds me of the flares of energy, the burn of delight and desire, that cannot last. Yet that high feeds the enduring fires of our lives, just as the quiet embers do, and responsible adulthood asks us to notice what enduring choices we might be making even while in the embrace of Springtime energy. In the enduring sense, what do you (or I) choose?

We each know very well that there are obvious, pivotal choices, the clear Ys in the road, the decisions that divide one possible path from another. Robert Frost had it exactly right, way leads into way and there is no going back.

There are also the daily, more subtle pivot points that build the life we have, and the changes we wish for, and the ones we didn't realize we were building into the future with our small, current choices.

Every day, every moment, we each walk into the unknown.

What do I learn, in my journey, from experienced outer relationships? That is, what do I learn from those relationships that exist in any moment with each of the external elements of my environment, including but not limited to all the human relationships?

What do I learn from my inner journey, my noticing, dreaming, imagining quietness? That is, what do I learn from the relationship of my felt-body-self with my Observer-met-in-meditation-self?

Adventures abound, overt and subtle, and are present, I believe, as long as life lasts. To quote Richard Rohr, "Now we can trust what seems like a free fall into absurdity."

Absurdity. Lest we should begin to take anything too seriously. As Jon Kabat-Zinn says, Life is too serious to be taken seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment