Saturday, July 2, 2011

Kindness

"A simple act of kindness has a beauty all its own," wrote my brother in his thank you card to me. (I couldn't find it attributed to an author.) "How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it, " says George Alliston, quoted on a card I have hanging where I notice it often. "May I be kind to myself," begins a prayer one friend taught me and what another friend has identified as a variety of a meta-meditation.

Kind. Even the word carries a wash of-- calm? relaxation for the neck ans shoulder muscles, for the breath? peace?

Where does kindness fit in this world of fierce competition? How do we find a path to kindness? How do we balance soft kindness with firm kindness?

Ah, let me go into my day intending kindness, and with a heart full of laughter and gentle joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment