Monday, May 14, 2012

Grace

This world is rational and also not-rational. I need emotional and spiritual tools as well as my rational mind. One of those tools rests in the ability, the willingness, to recognize moments of grace: the free, undeserved gift that is mine (or yours) for the seeing, the reaching and receiving.

Grace finds me, not vice versa. It's only up to me to recognize it. It comes when I notice some not-yet-tried thing, some potential, possibility. Grace arrives in my life-challenges and comes with transformative power. Let me simply notice that, amid all the burdens, there are also all the blessings, all the beautiful things

Let me make, each day, my list of at least five beautiful things.
The memory of sunlight on the meadow; sunlight sometimes seen filtering in bright, moist shafts through trees; sunlight today from behind cloud cover in a shadowless, drizzly morning. "The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof." I am held by breath and pulse, part of the Earth that is the Lord's, part of the fulness thereof. Here, too, I find grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment