Monday, February 11, 2013

Myth: the ineffable or unspeakable

Our “myth” is the symbol system out of which we think and operate. It is largely unconscious and pre-rational, which is probably why the word “myth” (ineffable or unspeakable) is used, even if commonly misunderstood. Everyone has a myth, even those who fear the word. We have to have our myth because it creates a sometimes-livable world and it provides the frame of reference necessary for sanity—or insanity if we have a destructive one. Myths create a habitable and meaningful world for us. Richard Rohr

Thus, my poetry reflects the symbol system out of which I think and operate. My sisters all recognized our common heritage in my poems collected in Inherited Estate: A Song Cycle. I suspect that means we share the same myth. Ours in common, but not widely common. 

Thus, our wordsall of them, I think, including the writings most math-science-research basedare always merely the finger pointing to the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment