Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Turning why to how

My husband is now officially retired, so yesterday we spent the day with our nine-month-old granddaughter. She is studying the concepts in and out. She practices with great intensity and focus, noticing how this reality works.

Particle physicist Lawrence Krauss says that every why question is really a how question in our drive to figure out the workings of the universe. 

Take, then, the question, "Why seek happiness?" and turn it into "How is it that the sentient world seems programmed to draw back from every kind of pain?" Or, "How do we define pain, define good/bad?" Or.... 

Or back to more simply, How can I be happy right now? Well, I notice in this moment, in this place, all is well enough with me that my life carries into the next moment, why not define this as happy? How not define this as happy...

No comments:

Post a Comment