Friday, November 23, 2012

Burnished Copper Light

This morning for about five minutes the world glowed with a burnished copper light.
  
Wendell Berry, in his poem "How To Be a Poet" [the title immediately followed by "(to remind myself)"] writes,
 
Breathe with unconditional breath
the unconditioned air.

....
Stay away from anything
that obscures the place it is in.

There are no unsacred places;
There are only sacred places.

And desecrated places. 

Nothing mundane. Only the sacred or desecrated. Can we discern?

So I stepped outdoors for a few moments, aware that ultimate control of my breath is not mine, ultimate control of the air is not mine. 

On this huge and tiny planet, that is not the center of the solar system, which is not the center of the Universe, I stand in no central place at all, yet I stand centered in my unique life. You, too.

This morning I stood in place and noticed my own breath in the brief, full-view gift of glowing, burnished copper light. In my small, full being I give thanks for all this sacred.

No comments:

Post a Comment