Friday, February 11, 2011

February 11, 2011

That would be 02 11 2011. Grin.

The sunrise is bright, and the snow on the hill across the valley is beigy-pink and the weather forecast is for a sunny day, possibly with temperatures up to 40. That will be a relief from single digit nights and all frozen days.

Yesterday I visited the skunk cabbage flowers in the marshy place next to St. Omer's creek. There they were, in the ice-skimmed water, standing so pert and sturdy. Some of them are such a dull mottled puce and chartreuse color. To my eye, just ugly. And then some are like a glass of burgundy wine, and when sunlight catches in them they glow, so beautiful. I didn't see any other movement in the marsh yesterday, yet from other years, I know that inside each of those folded over blossoms there is space for a bee.

Ugly and beautiful, standing together, and the bees and the plants themselves don't seem to make that judgment about good, better, best related to beauty. I have developed a fondness for those chartreuse and puce blossoms. Survival demands of plants another kind of struggle. I stood by the swampy place a while and smiled.

And then, because it was so cold, I hiked back up the hill and home.

No comments:

Post a Comment