Saturday, August 13, 2011

Courage

Fear. That primal, fight-or-flight response that leads us astray in our modern world where there's no safer place to which to fly, no overt, substantial enemy with whom to do battle. I know that when I am able to experience my gut response I often discover a root of fear.

Wisdom writings of all sorts tell me that fear (not hate) is the opposite of love. Already in childhood I set about praying for the gift of love. How's that working out for ya, girl? Well, I'm a poor judge.

What do I most deeply desire now? Do I still pray for the gift of love? For what will I seek to gird myself with the courage to make and stand life choices? I've been asking this of myself of recent years, and also asking others in hopes I will gain insights from their answers. My own present answer:

Yes. I want to say yes. To joy of being through whatever comes. To whatever comes.

I wonder, what is your deepest desire? What intention guides your choices? The work of a lifetime continues as one seeks to recognize desire and set one's intentional way of being in accordance with such recognized desires. Engaging this work demands courage and creates ordinary, unsung heroic journeys.

When I find again a root of fear, may I turn and be blessed with courage. (I claim to be striving for courage, not necessarily achieving it.)

Clouds are rolling in; the air has that quiet, waiting feeling. All three sons are away from their homes today, and I think of them, wishing traveling mercies for them and all the world as well. For myself, I expect and hope for a restful weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment