Monday, August 8, 2011

Unchanging

This morning I drank Peet's Coffee, Major Dickason's Blend, described as rich and complex, and yummm! I agree. Since B. prefers a lighter roast, I brewed that one cup just for myself. I sat with treat in hand, settled against cushions in the east-facing window seat, aware of the joy of being.

Instead of facing out, as usual, this morning I faced in. The early play of light and shadow on the interior walls fascinates me, and today I watched them shift minute by minute. That sunrise gift, leaf-shadow pattern-play on the walls, changes so quickly that it's easy to miss if one goes about normal routines. Today I had the luxury to just sit and watch and enjoy.

All this, and running water, too.

Asiatic Dayflowers are blooming; I saw them as I walked home from the top of the hill this morning. I've known the look of them for years, but the name of them will not stay fixed in my memory, so I spent a delightful hour browsing among my friends, the common wildflowers of Maryland.

Fleabane, wild asters (both white and purple) yellow bellwort, sawtooth blackberry, bloodroot, blue-eyed grass, black cohash, Joe-pye weed, chickory, Queen Anne's lace, clover (both red and white), buttercup, black-eyed Susan, common day lily, elderberry, cinnamon fern, tulip poplar blooms, dogwood, all sorts of violets and wood sorrel, and more, and more and more.

Each flaunts its wonderful wildness in its season; each illustrates that which is constant: change. The natural world perfectly illustrates the constancy of change, shows the unchanging truth that everything always changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment