Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Surprised by My Groceries

Today is CSA pick-up day. That is, we committed to another year of membership in a Community Supported Agriculture plan. We pay ahead of time; the farmers plan, plant, tend; we get a share of whatever harvest comes. These folks are successful farmers, and I always feel that we receive good value for our investment.

With one's own garden, one does each of the steps, and observes the ripening and getting ready as any particular plant begins to produce. No surprises.

Week to week with the CSA, though, I don't know what will be in the produce box when I pick it up. Usually corn, since the season began. Tomatoes, peppers, summer squash. Last week the first of the apples. What will it be this week?

Each summer Tuesday I look forward to the fun of being surprised by my groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment