Monday, October 17, 2011

Archimedes Palimpsest

“The rewriting of history is a fabulously wonderful and romantic thing.” said Walters Art Museum curator Will Noel, quoted in The Baltimore Sun, Sunday, October 16, 2011 in the article “Archimedes Decoded.” The article says that twelve years ago The Walters gained possession of a 174-page goatskin book, badly deteriorated and scraped and written over, but with ghostly images of a 10th-century scribe's copy of Archimedes' work “On Floating Islands,” and the only versions anywhere of his “Method of Mechanical Theorems,” and “The Stomachion.”

Do you ever wish you could know much more than you do? I wish I had energy and focus and ability and all the other resources to learn-learn-learn. I'd learn languages of all sorts, including mathematics, so I could translate for myself whatever I wished to read. I'd learn history, and and government, economics, medicine, physics, and all the -ology sciences. Then I'd go online and study the digitally imaged pages The Walters posted of Archimedes' writings, too. Wanna work together? Wouldn't that be fun?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm always starting books that I don't finish. Maybe one day we'll get some free time and go back to them. In the meantime, it was fun to start them and fun to think that they're waiting for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Last evening at journaling one of my friends said her parents, who have moved to a retirement community near a University, are having the time of their lives. They're taking classes, no pressure, just working with exactly whatever they love to work with, and learning. What better fun can there be? Yes!

    ReplyDelete