Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Happy Little Girl

Little white dog, the terrified stray I fed for a little while this past summer, has found a home with Jimmy down at the horse barn near Kalmia. She's now named "Little Girl," and is so clearly, dearly loved. Now she has a good dog's life. Mother Nature's face can be harsh, but kindness also exists in the world.

My farmer neighbor down by Deer Creek had a wheel off his corn combine as I walked by this morning. "Oh, we have a bent axle, he went off into that hole there. The bolts were kinked in a way we had some trouble with, but we'll have 'er going again right quick, here, now." He and his friend who farms down the road another bit seem to often work together, making jobs easier and more fun for both, I believe. I want to call them two old guys, but I'm sure they're not much older than I. They're the two who found me sitting on the road berm resting at my normal turn-around place one day when I'd overestimated my strength. "The bus doesn't stop here anymore, " they told me when they stopped. And then they gave me a ride back home.

Today the sky waters look rippled in their bowl. Rain coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment