Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Conscious of Delight

"Just today she discovered she can not only walk without falling every half-dozen steps or so, she can run!" the voice on the phone told me last week. In the background I could hear the laughter and the chortling screams of the one year old to whom the sentence applied.

My granddaughter's joy translated into my joy. There she was, experiencing a full-body awareness of her new mobility, the freedom of it, the like-Mommy-'n-Daddy feeling of it.

She'd discovered the ability to choose, to be intentional in her embodied, moving self. Her noisy glee seemed to indicate a consciousness of delight felt from crown to tippy-toe .

Homo sapien sapien: the species conscious of consciousness; the ones aware of being aware.

What wisdom do we sacrifice if we relinquish noticing that full-body experience and awareness in favor of the life we live in our minds? I think we're incomplete without both. How do we find balance?

I wish for you, today, moments of the conscious experience of some delight, some joy embodied in you and felt from your crown to your tippy-toes.

Rain! Some much needed rain falls here at the moment. A day full of such gentle patter would serve well, and now it starts. I will walk out into it for the experience it brings, and perhaps I will translate the sensations as delight. Or if not delight, at the very least I will translate the swing and shift of my body as the present, specific experience of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment