Wednesday, June 1, 2011

I mowed the lawn!

It's hot, yes, but dry enough, and I worked almost entirely in shade. I was able to do this. After all, am I not taking daily walks partly to maintain my ability to do practical, physical jobs such as mowing?

For the past couple weeks I'm thinking that I may be one, like some of my forebears on both Father's and Mother's families, who lives to be ninety-plus, for I am so fortunate to have, apparently, mostly gone into remission from the illness that crippled me so in years and even recent months past. Therefore, it is not time to give up what is still possible. Perhaps it is never time to give up what is possible?

We had a fine stand of wildflowers this spring: flea bane daisies, jack-in-the-pulpit, wood anemone and more. But the blooming was nearly done, and now the trimmed, even green accents the flowers remaining. And it makes obvious the weeds that will be pulled rather than mowed.

In town a lawn not mowed until today would have been considered an eyesore. But here not one neighbor can see our lawn, so how we choose to maintain our space is more up to us.

The world outdoors is a gift I receive daily, and I am thankful for every bit of it, all the variety and the constancy of its changing. Today I am particularly thankful for all the ways I experienced the privilege of strength and choice in the process of mowing the lawn. And for my joy with the calm, peaceful-looking result.

No comments:

Post a Comment