Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Eagle Sits Still

Between the family Christmas get together planned for Saturday, and the demands of this most recent medical adventure, I'm already feeling frenzied this morning. I glance out the window and there sits an eagle.

High in a tree, head white and almost blending with the gray-white sky, body distinguishable from the trees because I know the woods well and the wings occasionally move, this bird just sits and gazes out at the world. Oh, a necessary head scratch. And another wing adjustment. And return to that calm. Now arising on legs, leaning forward, and that step off the tree limb into easy flight.

I am reminded that I, too, may pause often for a short rest and to return to calm, and my day-flight will be easier for it. "The world will little note, nor long remember..." And I'm not engaged in a great endeavor, only my small, ordinary December life. I may open the gift of a calm spirit any and every moment, whenever I choose to take a breath and notice that possibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment